Featured Videos & Creators Kashmir unrest 2016 Life News Trends State Repression

Srinagar turns into Ghost town- a report

Written by Sajad Rasool

Text By: Sajad Rasool | Video Report by: Srinagar Correspondent

Unrest in Kashmir entered another day after the Killing of Burhan Wani, a 21 Year old Hizbul Mujahideen Commander. Burhan along with his 2 associates was killed in South Kashmir’s Anantnag/Islamabad District on 8th July.

His killing was followed by violent protests across Kashmir. Tens of thousands of people attended slain Burhan’s funereal in his hometown Tral, located in Pulwama.

St phane Dujarric, spokesman of Banki Moon at United Nations told reporters at the daily brief said, “I think the Secretary-General, as we said earlier this week, is obviously following the situation in Kashmir very closely. I think he regretted the loss of life and calls on all the parties to exercise restraint”.

The US today said it wants dialogue between India and Pakistan for resolving Kashmir issue, amid war of words between the two countries over the the unrest in the Valley after the killing of Hizbul commander Burhan Wani.

“Authorities in Jammu and Kashmir must ensure that people injured in shootings by security forces have access to medical assistance, and medical professionals can carry out their work without interference” – Amnesty International, India.

The local Authorities have imposed a strict curfew across Kashmir valley. During the past 7 days 35 people have been shot dead by Armed forces and Police, while as more than 1400 people have been hurt in the seven-day violence. A majority of them with bullet and pellet injuries are being treated in various hospitals.

Restrictions on the movement of the people in parts of Srinagar, some areas in north Kashmir and four districts of south Kashmir, which were imposed on Saturday morning, continued to remain in force on Thursday.
Officials said the restrictions were imposed to maintain law and order in the Valley.

The pro-freedom Hurriyat groups have called for a strike against killings till Friday.
The pro-freedom groups had on Wednesday extended the strike call till Friday after a spate of fresh killings in the Valley. Syed Ali Shah Geelani, and Mirwaiz Umer Farooq tried to defy restrictions on Wednesday to march towards Martyrs graveyard in Khawaja Bazar area of Srinagar but were stopped by Police and arrested. Later, they were released from detention and kept under house arrest.

Public transport was completely off the roads for the sixth consecutive day, while private cars and auto-rickshaws were seen plying at few places in the areas where there were no restrictions.

Kashmir University and other local Universities and Board Exams have been postponed.
KashmirUnheard’s Srinagar Community captures some scenes from Srinagar City and its outskirts and talks to a few locals.

About the author

Sajad Rasool

Sajad Rasool manages Kashmir Unheard. He works as a Producer and Editor

Leave a Comment